Wednesday 21 March 2012

Cooking (In relation to powerpont)

Cooking.

Cooking is to “prepare (food) for eating by applying heat” (The free dictionary, 2012). I have chosen cooking as occupation to discuss as it is one I have participated in during my fieldwork placement for occupational therapy. My placement was in a Youth Mental Health setting, and on Fridays the service users came together to cook a substantial meal for all of them to eat together. I assisted the service users in making the food, by helping them prepare the food, and answer questions they were not sure about. Once the food had been cooked, myself, the other therapists and service users gathered around a table and eat together.

The term “do” means “The activities in which a particular person engages. Or Deeds; accomplishments.” (Free dictionary.com,2012) In my power point I have created images which represent this (Images 13,14,15, and 17) to show aspects of cooking which people are performing purposeful, goal orientated activities such as cooking on the barbeque. Becoming is “any process of change” (Free dictionary.com, 2012) Slide numbers 3, 6, 12, 16 and 20 represent the envisioning a future self, what we wish to become and the future contributions to self and others. Being is “a part of something, such as an object, an idea, or a symbol, that exists, is thought to exist, or is represented as existing”. (Dictionary.com, 2012) In slides 5 and 7 this is represented through people showing that they are taking the time taken to reflect, be introspective with valued people. The term belonging is the “Acceptance as a natural member or part” (Free dictionary.com, 2012). In images 4, 8, 9, 13, 14, 18, and 20 all represent social interaction, friendship, inclusion and people valuing each other.

Three examples of ethical considerations I have made in relation to the images I have chosen is that I have gained informed consent from all people making an appearance in my own photos, that I have referenced any online sources I have used and that I have remained fully confidential to the youth mental health setting I was placed in as I provided no names or places.

References Farlex. The free dictionary. (2012). Retreived from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment